Safeguarding for Designated Safeguarding Leads in Schools and Educational Settings
This course is aimed at Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSL) and Deputy DSLs in Schools or other Educational Settings who have a responsibility for safeguarding children within their role.
The course is split into 3 modules covering everything required in order to undertake the role and to provide an understanding of the importance of multi-agency working for schools in order to protect children. This course meets the requirements for DSL training to: ‘provide them with the knowledge and skills required to carry out the role’. (KCSiE20 para 72). DSL training should be updated every 2 years.
Included in the additional information for each module are hyperlinks to useful materials and free online courses on various subjects, such as Female Genital Mutilation, which DSLs should consider in addition to this course.
The course itself is designed to take no more than a day to complete in total and is split into short video and audio clips which can be undertaken in smaller slots.
Module 1 covers the legislation you are working within, as a DSL:
- The role of the DSL
- Legislation covering safeguarding in schools
- Keeping Children Safe in Education 2020 – school responsibilities
- Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018 – multi agency responsibilities
- Education Act 2002
- Children Act 1989
- Care Orders – what are the different types and what do you need to know?
- Four cases to demonstrate why this legislation is so important
Module 2 covers the knowledge you will require as a DSL:
- A recap of the categories of abuse and how you might recognise that a child is suffering
- Early Help and how this works for schools
- Adverse Childhood Experiences and trauma
- Female Genital Mutilation, the law and schools
- Criminal Exploitation and County Lines
- The Prevent Agenda
- Domestic Abuse both in a child’s household and between young people
- Operation Encompass
- A case study – what makes a good referral? Including advice from Children’s Social Care
- The Child Protection Process – a school’s engagement in Strategy Meetings, CP Conferences and Core Groups
Module 3 covers the procedures you will need to have in place in school as a DSL:
- Covid19 – not business as usual for Safeguarding
- Peer on Peer abuse
- Quality of Leadership and Understanding
- The Single Central Record, including pitfalls
- Safeguarding Policy – what should this contain and what other policies should link to it?
- Safeguarding Training – frequency, requirements and effectiveness
- Record Keeping – tracking the most vulnerable children, transfer of files and Children Missing Education
- Safer Recruitment in school
- Allegations Management – responsibilities and process
Module 1 - Legislation
Module 1 covers the legislation you are working within as a DSL
Module 2 - Knowledge Of The DSL
Module 3 - Policy & Processes